Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Worthwhile Battle That Is Going To Church

We are deeply entrenched into that whole "busy toddler" phase with Jacob when it comes to Sundays. Well, he's busy every other day of the week, but it makes keeping him under control in Sacrament meeting a real treat. Added to the situation is the fact that Jacob's dad sits up on the stand and Jacob really loves his dad. Every Sunday he will periodically yell out to Marshall "Daddy!" and then make funny faces at him. It's so cute to watch, but also very distracting. It seems if Jacob is not calling to his dad, he is dumping out diaper bags, throwing his sippee cup in the pew in front of us, flirting with the people around us, or trying his darnedest to escape and run up to join us dad. After Sacrament meeting I am always pooped. I mean it would be enough if I had only Jacob to contend with, but I also have his three other siblings who aren't always perfect angels, sometimes very far from it. Rachel and Jimmy always vying to sit next to me and Anna seeming to suffer from some disease that makes sitting down for long impossible. Almost every Sunday Jimmy, who is the king of being loud and disruptive, ends up on the stand with Marshall where Jimmy will promptly fall asleep. One kid down, three to go.

Jacob's new thing is now to call to Marshall when I carry him out of the chapel. You see, we always end up leaving, it's just a matter of when. At some point all the attempts to keep Jacob distracted will fail and he will do his best to get up to the stand. I will stop him, which results in back arching and body contortions that would impress the most expert yoga instructor. So we leave the chapel. But since we sit on the third row, we exit out the front door and Jacob yells out "Daddy!" as he is cruelly taken away from his object of desire. As if his dad would save him. Believe me, some Sundays I would love to let him run free to Dad and have him deal with herding the monkey. It's to the point now where everyone expects to hear that little voice calling out in plea when we leave the chapel. He gets lots of smiles and chuckles for his display of affection for his dad. Thank goodness too since it all just comes with the territory of having a young bishop.

No wonder I fell asleep at 6pm tonight when Anna had me lay in bed after getting a headache. You don't have to ask me twice to rest! Sacrament meeting with kids is not for the weak. Each Sunday I come home pooped, but also proud. Proud to have made it through yet another church meeting, making sure my kids are where they need to be, even if it isn't the easiest. I can already see the many blessings of lugging everyone to church each week. Sometimes it may be hard to see, but I know we are laying the foundation for their future today. So here's to one more week down!

No comments: