Monday, October 4, 2010

We did it!

I love General Conference. I need to be reminded at least every 6 months what I am doing well and what I need to work on. Yes, I need to be sat down by the tv, computer, or radio and listen to the prophet's and apostles' voices. And I need to be spiritually fed by their wisdom. Not to mention the benefit of staying at home one Sunday and relaxing at home while I listen to Conference. Jimmy was so confused why it was Sunday and yet Marshall wasn't gone at church. Happy day! I was able to entertain Jacob in the toy room with an assortment of toys all the while listening on the computer to the sessions. If only it was that easy every Sunday!

There were so many good talks. I cannot wait to listen to them again and gain even more out from them. With kids around I don't usually catch everything the first time. Little people are very distracting. But that's okay. I can read or listen to the talks again. What is important, just like going to church each Sunday, is that I made the effort to do my part. We all parked by the computer and radio and listened to all the sessions of Conference. At the end of General Conference I just want to give my husband a big "high five" and say "We did it! We all survived General Conference! We rock!"

More than anything, I always end General Conference feeling the powerful love that our Father in Heaven and prophet and apostles have for us. How could one deny that God lives and loves us after hearing their words? How can one not get goosebumps when President Packer declares with firmness that family is essential to God's plan, despite what perversions Satan may concoct? It touches each of us differently, but it comes with such power that one knows those words are of God. Like a sharp edged sword slicing to the bone, one cannot deny how the truth cuts through all the lies and deception of this mortal world. Why would our Father in Heaven ever bother to discipline us or share the truth unless He loved us? If He didn't care about us He'd just leave us in the dark to fend for ourselves. But each one of us counts and are dear to Him. I have renewed hope, understanding, faith, and patience. I leave Conference knowing I am not alone, that God loves and knows me and has faith in me that I can endure and make it back to Him. I need that semi-annual reminder because it is so easy to get distracted and forget.

No comments: