Thursday, November 8, 2012

Post Election: There is Always Hope

I know a lot of people are upset over the Presidential Election. It was a huge surprise to us all. Watching the numbers come in was like seeing a horrible accident about to occur. You knew what was coming, but you couldn't believe it and felt powerless to stop it. And yet you couldn't rip yourself away from it either.

Last night while reading scriptures, we read 2 Nephi 7 and the phrase, "Where is the bill of your mother's divorcement?" hit me hard. It was a reminder to me that the Lord has not forgotten us. He has not cut Himself off from those who are righteous. Though some think there is no hope, there really still is. The Lord goes on to say that it is because of the people's iniquities, not any action on His part, that He is separated from His people. Yes, there is a lot of sin in the world today, obvious from the results of the election, but there is always hope and peace for the righteous. As long as we stay close to the Lord, He will not "divorce" us. We will be okay.

I also think of the plaque I have hanging in my kitchen, a famous quote from Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, "Come what may and love it." The election is over and there isn't much we can do about the results. It's done with. And so we need to move on. But we can still learn to love the life we have. We can't give up hope. We have to have faith in our Father's plan and take comfort from it. Being angry or fearful will keep us from feeling the Spirit. We can be wise, but not afraid. Fear is the antithesis of faith and comes from the Devil. Fear hinders us from progressing. Instead, we need to look for the good and stand fast in our beliefs.

The world is not ending yet. The Gospel is going forth. There is ALWAYS hope.

4 comments:

Lempskies said...

I totally agree!

annjeanette said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. There is always hope. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree! I always have to remind myself that faith and fear cannot coexist. So choose faith.

Mandy said...

Yeah. Anyway.

Thanks for the posts for me, the non-facebooker. And the fact that fruit ninja is an app. I was really confused about that until I read the explanation.

Go you on the run!