Monday, January 4, 2010

I wasn't always a mom, you know . . .


It's always funny to see yourself from your children's perspective. According to them, I have always been a mom, never a little girl who played with dolls, beat up bullies, or did anything remotely cool. That's why I took their little minds for a whirl today when they discovered a secret from my past. I can play video games.

Yes, my hidden skills haven't really had the opportunity to come to the surface in my adult life. I admit, I was a video game playing junkie when I was a tween. It was serious business. But as I grew older, I moved on to better things. However, this Christmas we got Super Mario Wii and that has tempted my game playing appetite once again. My husband and I have had fun teaming up together after the kids are in bed and kicking some serious Bowser tail. Apparently, I am very competitive when it comes to Mario. I never realized this until my husband started to remind me, almost nightly, that it was just a game and not the end of the world. (Says the man who's family gets as passionate about board games as some people do about politics.) I admit it, I am a die hard gamer and the long slumbering beast has been awakened. No mercy! Take no prisoners!

Today the girls were playing Super Mario Brothers and discovered the saved data from our little nightly gaming adventures. They automatically assumed that I was the one who had died more often in our exploits. Not so! Their little minds were blown away when they discovered it was their father who had lost more Mario lives. I was the better player. Wow! Who would have thought? During the day I just don't have time to sit and throw down some Koopa bootie so they were amazed that I knew how to play at all. I may have actually become cool for a minute or two.

Who knows what secrets my kids will discover about me next?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Sue!!!!

Stephanie Black said...

Ha ha! Way to shock your kids with your skills!