Friday, June 11, 2010

How and why do they do it?

Every summer I see moms in bikinis, which just blows my mind. I have always wanted, but never had the daring, to go up and study their bellies. Some women look like they have had children, with the residual pouch remaining, while others appear as if their offspring came out of thin air. I just want to see if they have stretch marks and, if not, where did they go? Did they use cosmetic surgery, a secret home remedy, or have all their marks escaped to my body?

Yesterday I saw a mom at the pool who had on a bikini, at least I am pretty sure she did. She kept herself so well covered in her sundress and in the next moment was in the pool. When she got out she had her towel around her body faster than the speed of Jacob. I was impressed and confused. What's the point of wearing a bikini if you don't want anyone else to see you in it? Wouldn't it be far better to buy a swimsuit that flattered your figure and made you feel confident in it? Crazy!

But not as crazy as the six month old baby I also saw yesterday in a bikini. It was disturbing to see a cute little chubby baby in something so sexual. Cover up her belly for crying out loud! It's not cute and is just another area to protect from the sun. She's a baby. Let her be one, all cute and innocent. Throw on one of those one piece suits with the ruffles on the bum.

What is wrong with people? Sexualizing children is just plain wrong. And showing off your assets is not a confidence or self esteem booster. I'm not a fan of binkinis. I teach my children to respect their bodies and that their value is worth more than physical appearances. As for me, I respect my body and no one aside from my hubby is seeing this belly!

No comments: