Saturday, June 19, 2010

To My Hero

When I was a little girl, I thought the world revolved around my dad. Even though I didn't live with him, I knew he was just that amazing. Nothing could stop my dad. Strong, gentle, and able to hit a baseball further than the eye could see. Only his inability to fly kept him short of super hero status. He was and still is one of my heroes. I never thought I would meet a man who could even begin to come close to the awesomeness of my dad.

A little over ten years ago I was proven wrong. Of course, I didn't think of his fathering capabilities when I first saw my husband. I was more focused on how amazingly adorable he looked in his three-piece suit and how I wanted to find out more about this witty, charming man. I had no idea he would turn out to be the humble father he is. Oh sure, I had some inklings of his quality, but never imagined how great he would be.

I love watching him care for our children, scaring away bad dreams, blessing sick children, or cuddling a sad face. He teaches by his example and is never afraid to use any opportunity to help our children further understand the Gospel. He shows by his dedication to his calling as bishop his testimony and devotion to the Lord. He goes to work every day, missing out on all sorts of fun, to provide a good life for his family. Our kids know that hard work brings great rewards and blessings. And he is so much fun to be around because he is so happy. The kids can always find him playing the piano or singing at the top of his lungs in the shower. He's always game for dancing and makes each child feel special as he whirls them around the room. And his unmatched excitement for Disneyland keeps the magic and child in him alive. He is strong, gentle, and caring. He is one of my heroes.

I think the only thing keeping my husband back from superhero status is his inability to fly. But according to Jimmy he can lift heavy objects with a single hand so maybe he's already there. At least in the eyes of our children he is and that is what matters most.

No comments: