Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Fluoride: It's a good thing

I wish there was a way for me to put fluoride into my family's drinking water, like sneaking in capsules each time I fill up the Britta pitcher. Mind you, my family wouldn't mind, but the state of Utah might.

Utah refuses to fluoridate their water. I don't know what the big scare is about. Are they afraid kids will start growing extra arms or legs? I could use a few more hands to help out around the house. Not to mention the fact that almost all other states in the country fluoridate water. No one else has turned out freakishly misshapen or stunted intellectually. No, only Utah seems to be the "freak" in this situation.

During most of my married life (a.k.a. poor student family lifestyle)I have not gone to the dentist. I think I went once in seven years. And yet I never had a cavity. Now that we have this cool thing known as a "job" that comes along with something even neater called "insurance", I actually visit the dentist on a semi-regular basis. "Semi" because I just plain forget to go unless they call me and then drag me in. But not a cavity in all that time. Not one! Can't say the same for my husband who grew up in Utah. Why? Because I grew up in one of those crazy radical states that dared to put fluoride in the water. It's been hard hiding my third arm from my husband, but the strong healthy teeth have been worth it.

Come on Utah! Just put the fluroide in the water! Trust me, there are far worse things to worry and obsess about.

1 comment:

annjeanette said...

I am the same way. Sam is just like Marshall. What is it with Utah?