Monday, November 22, 2010

The Story behind "The Phantom"


After seeing the musical "The Phantom of the Opera" at Dixie High, I was left with a lot of questions about the story line. Let's face it, the show is all about the music. The plot can be intense at times, but also very lame and flat at others. I mean, what is up with Christine Daae and the power the Phantom has over her? Hello sister, wake up and stop following the guy with half a face down into the cellars under the Paris Opera house and then freaking out. Stop leading him and Raoul on. Snap out of your little "la la land trance". And what is Raoul's deal? Why is he so in love with Christine when she keeps going with the Phantom? She's kind of hard to read. It's pretty obvious that the Phantom is insane so I have no qualms with his actions because he is, um, nuts.

Needless to say, when I learned there was a novel that the musical was based upon I wanted to read it. I was hoping there was more to the story and was pleasantly surprised. The book, written by Gauston Leroux, is awesome and much better than the musical. Talk about fast paced action, suspense, love, and mystery. No boring parts. I loved it!!!! And I gained more insight into the characters of the Phantom, Christine, and Raoul. I still think Christine is whacked, but I better understand why. Her father's belief in fables and her eternal mourning for his death is a big part of it. Raoul is the typical head strong "hero" who over reacts at times and is worth cheering at others. And the Phantom is a fascinating character with a wicked past that builds upon his sinister yet pitiful person. I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about these characters and the story.

If you're looking for a good classic suspense, check out this book!

No comments: