Thursday, July 7, 2011

Sue-Hulk

It's hard to explain to normal mild mannered women what it is like to turn into a raging-beast-from-the-pit-of-doom-every-month. I'm not the kind of woman who is surprised every time her "monthly visitor" arrives. I'm not one of those women who is all sunshine and lollipops and barely notices her bodily changes. I am more like "Sue-Hulk" on steroids. Seriously, for that one week a month, I will eat you alive if you look at me the wrong way and you won't even know what hit you. Well, I do a good job of hiding the beast from the public eye, but watch out if you are in my family. I am sure there are some days when my husband would rather stay at work because he doesn't know who he is going to meet when he gets home, Sue-Hulk or regular Sue. It's a gamble.

Women who aren't enslaved by this beast just don't get it. They think you can just magically make it all go away. Not true! (and right now I really want to punch you for thinking it's that easy) Most of the time when Sue-Hulk goes on a rampage, I don't even realize it until she is already gone. I have no idea what is going to unleash that green beast of doom. It can be something as simple as a look or the tone of a voice that can trigger her.

I have learned and am continuing to work on keeping her in check. I have figured out a few signs to look for when she gets too close to the surface. I do my best to keep her at bay, but like Bruce Banner, I do have my bad days. Apologies work wonders, as do making light of my behavior. I've described my crabbiness using all sorts of words to my husband, which usually gets a good chuckle and sigh of relief from him. He knows if I am willing to laugh at the insanity of it all, then he is on safe ground again. And he can joke with me about it because he knows my description of my hoe-beast behavior is true. He was thinking the same thing about Sue-Hulk, but wouldn't dare ever say it out loud for fear she could return. The fact that I say it gets it out in the open and we can both feel relieved. And then we can move on.

I wish Sue-Hulk didn't exist at all. My life would be so much easier without her. But then I suppose I wouldn't have anything to work on. Plus I am really creative at describing her rampages and I love getting a chuckle out of my husband.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love It! What's a frightening character that goes with Robyne. I think you have described me to a 'T'. Why does it have to be that way for us? I thought it would get better with age, but it only seems to get worse, for me anyways. I have added panic attacks to go along with it now too. Let's just say, not fun and watch out!

Bonnie said...

I'd comment, but I'm a little afraid to. ;>)

Mandy said...

Yeah. I exploded last week, too. Poor hubby. And one other question. Does Jacob stay in bed?