Friday, September 23, 2011

Healthy food in disguise


Remember being a kid and having to take that nasty bubble gum flavored penicillin? I can still recall the smell, thick consistency, and horrid taste. I don't know what was worse, being deathly sick or taking the medication.

I find it amusing that food companies have gotten smart enough to do the same thing to us now adults. They try to sneak in some healthy goodness into what should be delectable desserts and treats. The sad thing is, I will always be able to taste the penicillin underneath all that bubble gummy flavor.

I have tried Fiber-One brand granola bars and found a few kinds actually good, despite the fiber-y after taste. Like most adults, I need more fiber and I will disguise it any way I can to get more into my body. Fiber-One recent came out with 90 calorie brownies stocked full of fiber. Since I had a coupon, I was curious and decided to try some.

Well, it was like a chocolately flavored fibery snack. Mind you, it didn't taste horrid, but it wasn't a moist-barely-cooked-chocolatey-melts-in-your-mouth-death-by-chocolate brownie. You could tell it was a healthy something that was posing as a dessert, but not actually the real thing. I guess it would be impossible to make it 90 calories, healthy, and have it taste like heavenly chocolatey goodness.

You'd think with all of our modern technology we could make medicine and such lame attempts at treats taste better. Give me some penicillin that actually tastes like I am chewing some Bazooka Joe or biting into a plump fresh grape. Or how about a low-fat and high fiber treat that gives See's Candy a run for their money. That, my friends, would truly be a modern marvel.

3 comments:

Suzanne Lucas said...

mmmm, brownies. Fiber free brownies.

Stephanie Black said...

Yeah, better to just get the nutritious stuff naturally and then eat a real brownie! Mmm, brownies. Dark, dense, chocolatey Tartine brownies . . .

Mandy said...

Still booted, huh. I had to laugh because your booted post is right after your grateful post.

Yeah. I decided if I'm going to eat dessert, I'm going to eat the real stuff, with real butter in it or none at all. I obviously pick the dessert versus none.

And I'm really sorry about the pull up incident. There are few things I hate cleaning more than those absorbing bead things that don't move when you wipe them. I can't imagine the washing machine (and laundry for the next several loads) full of them.

I like your boot. It's the whole reason I was brave enough to show up last minute at your house. But it would have been fine to have it only that weekend we were visiting.