Saturday, October 8, 2011

Bone Cancer Awareness Week

This week, October 8th-15th, is Bone Cancer Awareness Week.  Normally this wouldn't be such a big deal for me, but my 12 year-old niece was diagnosed with bone cancer this past week. It's always weird when something like cancer hits a little too close to home.

When she was younger, Jayden had a hearing disorder and speech problems. The doctors were able to fix her problem with surgery and Jayden went through speech therapy to help her learn communication skills. She's a quiet girl, but a tough one. She's a fighter and I know she will tackle this as well.

The doctors are very positive. With a round of chemo, surgery to remove the cancerous bone, and another round of chemo, they believe the cancer will be kicked. In a year her life should be back to normal.

This is one of those times where I wish I had magical powers. I wish I could take the cancer away. I wish I could be there for her and my sister when the chemo treatments begin. I wish my sweet niece didn't have to go through this tiring harsh ordeal. I wish she could be spared all of this. But I trust in the Lord and know He has a reason for all things. I know He will be there to comfort them as they go through this trial.  I am so grateful to have the Gospel in my life. How could we survive this existence without it?

No comments: