Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Passing of a Legend


As a child, I remember seeing this pretty rainbow colored apple on the computers at school. You know, the big old clunker machines that took discs that were actually floppy. I didn't know anything about Apple, but I did think the logo was cool looking.

I was introduced to the world of Apple as a teenager, working for a local screen printing and sign shop. My boss was a huge Apple fan. I was impartial as I was too young to know or care about the difference. But then I got my own Apple computer. Oh, baby. What a change! What beauty! I was hooked.

Later on I upgraded to a lap top, which I loved even more. I was very sad the day my lap top kicked the bucket.

Then there were i-pods, these nifty tiny devices that could store a wide volume of music. Soon there were ones that could even take videos and pictures.

Next was the i-phone. I think I wanted one just so I could play Angry Birds and have the chance to check the internet and goof off while waiting at the doctor's office.

And don't even get me started on the i-pad. I am still drooling over that one.

Whether you are a fan or not, Steve Jobs' impact on the world of computers is undeniable. Talk about a man with vision and motivation to take the computer world to a level hard to imagine just a few years ago. His new and innovative products raised technology to a new degree and challenged his competitors around him to match his genius. He lived the American dream.

It's sad to hear about his passing due to cancer. It goes to show we're all still mortal, no matter who we are and what we do. I wonder what ideas Jobs had brewing that we might miss out on. I, for one, am sorry to lose such a visionary man. I'll still love Apple and that cute logo will always make me smile, reminding me of that big old floppy disk using computer. We've come a long way, baby!

1 comment:

Stephanie Black said...

Steve Jobs was an amazing genius, and I too was sad at his passing. I'm typing this on my Mac laptop with my iPhone beside me . . .