Monday, November 28, 2011

a New Advertising Low

This morning at the gym I was watching TV when a commercial came on that gave me great hopes. It showed people going through various Christmas activities, such as shopping, visiting friends, etc. and then all of a sudden noticing a bright white light in the sky, almost like the star that appeared when the Savior was born. Everyone in the commercial just stopped and gazed in awe at the supposed star. I thought we actually were going to have a commercial reminding us the reason for the season, put on by some church if not the LDS church. But no. Instead, the commercial then cut to a woman flying high above the town in an airplane, coming home to visit her family. She was smiling and looking out the window and it was her clean white teeth, from Crest Whitening Strips, that caused the glow from the sky. Her mouth radiated light as she arrived home back to her family.

Oh, I just felt sick to my stomach when I saw that woman in the airplane and realized that instead of being a religious commercial, it was an advertisement about withening strips. That one was way below the belt. I know Christmas has been so commercialized that many people have forgotten what it is all about.  I know companies use any means to market their products for the season, but this commercial seemed particularly tasteless. Using the religious symbol of the new star in the sky to advertise a dental product. Oh no, it's not the sign of the Savior's birth, it's  woman with really bright teeth because she used Crest. Ugh. Tacky, cheesy, and lame.

What is wrong with the world? Nothing is sacred anymore and if anything is, it soon won't be. That commercial made me want to vomit, not buy whitening strips. Thanks a lot, Crest, for showing me a new low.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Yeah. Total lamesauce. And Jimmy looks so grown up in that picture, too, even though last time I saw him he still looked like a boy. In that picture he looks a little pre-teen. Good thing you have a girl cat. The first time we got a real tree when I lived with Anne, she had a boy cat. Let's just say potty training Jacob would have been mild in comparison. Yeah. Who'd have thought the green frog chair is so awesome. I guess whitney saw that Jacob had one, so she held out until she got one.

Stephanie Black said...

Good grief, what a tacky commercial!