Monday, February 28, 2011

An "inspired" date

Friday night my husband and I had the chance to go on a date. Sweet happiness! Since the temple was closed and the date funds for the month were getting low, we wanted to do something that wasn't too pricey and also somewhat spiritual. That's when my inspired hubby got the idea for us to go see the Joseph Smith movie at the temple visitor's center. We hadn't seen it since it came out five or so years ago. Plus our eight year old had just watched it with her Activity Days group and couldn't stop talking about how good it was. How could we resist?

I forgot how much I love that movie about Joseph Smith. It is very well done and has a beautiful spirit about it. And it was a great reminder to my husband and me about how blessed we are. This year as been full of trials, as it has for most anyone who is a human being going through this earthly life, but I am pretty sure none of us have been asked to go through what Joseph did. At one point in the movie, after burying another infant child, Emma asked Joseph if he ever thinks the Lord asks too much of us. His reply was that he cannot even afford to let himself begin to wonder. There is a great lesson in his words.

During times in my life when trials have come and I have thought, "Wait? I already went through trials x, y, and z. Isn't that a lot? Is the Lord paying attention here because I think that should be enough!" As if there is some magical shut off valve once we hit a certain amount of trials in our life. "Whoops! Sue's topped off. No more trials for her!" That's just not how it works. This life, this whole life, is about challenges and opposition. No matter the extent or length of the trials we undergo, more are bound to come, a simple fact of life. Therefore, we cannot get frustrated when it doesn't "end".

And what good does it do to get discouraged and frustrated with the Lord when our trials seem so plentiful? Does that help build our faith and testimony? Are we able to learn from such experiences what the Lord would have us if we are too busy griping? No.

The scriptures tell us not only to endure this life, but to "endure it well". It's not enough just to plug along every day, trying to just make it by. That's not what the Lord has in mind for us and we cheat ourselves of many spiritual experiences when we live such a half hearted life. Enduring well means we throw ourselves into the work of the Gospel. We go forward with faith and hope and we never give up. I think of Joseph Smith and the abuse, hatred, death, and doubt that followed him throughout his life once he had the First Vision. The man never gave up. Sure, he got frustrated at times, as we can read in the scriptures when he was imprisoned, but the Lord was always there to buoy him up. And because Joseph let himself be carried by the Lord during those trying times, he was able to go forward and accomplish all he was sent to do. He threw himself into the Gospel and never quit, despite all he was asked to sacrifice.

When I left the movie I was a changed woman. No more complaining to the Lord about why this or that has been happening, or is still happening, in my life. I saw how that attitude was trapping me in negativity and stunting my spiritual growth. Who cares about trials?! They are going to happen regardless, as I cannot control what life brings, so why let them hold me back? Why not choose to be positive and take the higher ground? I counted my blessings and realized that even though my life has been crazy, I have been amazingly blessed as I have continued in the work of the Lord. I felt such joy and my challenges seems so insignificant. What an awesome feeling that I hope I can keep!

Instead of counting our trials, we need to remember to count our blessings. We have to change our focus from what is wrong in our lives to what is right, completely immersing ourselves in the work of the Lord. When we do that, we too can be like Joseph Smith and triumph over life's challenges, enduring this earthly existence well.

1 comment:

annjeanette said...

Well put. We watch that movie every Sunday before Church. The kids love it. It is on the D & C DVDs that were just released not too long ago. Also they have Legacy, Mountain of the Lord and lots of other good stuff. About $4.50 at Deseret Book. Love you!