Thursday, February 17, 2011

"Never Give Up, Never Surrender!"

If kids came potty trained, life would be so much easier. Sadly that is not the case. Mr. Jacob has been showing all the signs of being ready to use the potty and I swore once we came back from our trip to Disneyland the war would begin. But then he got sick our first week back, as if he knew his fate was near and was desperate to prolong the inevitable. This week finds everyone healthy and so we began on Tuesday.

Did I convey how much I hate to potty train? If I could pay someone to do it for me, without it being inappropriate since the touching of body parts is necessary, I would. I hate, hate, hate potty training. But once I get into it, I'm determined to win. "Never give up, never surrender!", as quoted from Galaxy Quest, is my motto. If we are going to potty train then we are doing it until it's done.

I am happy to say that the past few days of constant vigilance, tears (thankfully, not mine), and hanging out in the bathroom or with the training potty is paying off. We've gone two days without accidents and have had lots of successes. That doesn't mean that Mr. Jacob isn't stubborn and still fights me when it comes to using the potty, but it does show that he has great control and is ready. And so we plunge forward with great hope.

Is there life without diapers? Will I actually be able to leave the diaper bag behind? Only time will tell, but it's looking pretty good!

2 comments:

annjeanette said...

I totally agree with you. Emma awaits after this baby comes. I have planned on doing it so much earlier but sicknesses and moving and such came up. Ugh! Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

He can't be old enough already? Where has the time gone? He was just a little baby. Good luck and never surrender.