Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"The Last of the Mohicans


One of my favorite movies that I have seen is "The Last of the Mohicans". I saw it in my teenage years and loved it. The moving story mixed with gorgeous scenery and haunting music cast a spell on my colonial history loving self. Not to mention the incredible acting of Daniel Day Lewis. The man is talented. I loved, loved, loved that movie. Sadly, I haven't seen it since I was a teen as it has an "R" rating and I made a personal choice to not watch those kinds of movies. I suppose Indian warfare can be a bit messy. Yet the story has always stuck with me.

That was why I was excited to read the actual book, "The Last of the Mohicans" by James Fenimore Cooper. I was hoping the story I remember from the movie would be as riveting in book form. It wasn't. There were intense parts of the book, which had me reading like crazy to find out what happened next, but those parts were far and few between. It took me a few months to read this book because I got bored in the beginning. I know authors tended to be more descriptive back then, as they were writing for entertainment and often got paid by the word, but Cooper's writing got very heavy at times. Enough already and get on with the story! I am a huge fan of Charles Dickens, who loved words, but Cooper just didn't have that power to catch me up in his story with his language. Still, even though I was disappointed by the actual book, I am glad I read it.

Check another one off the list!

No comments: