Monday, August 29, 2011

The best kind of companion

I love how the Holy Ghost works and can speak to us at any time if we are living our lives correctly.

Friday night I wasn't tired when we went to bed so I stayed up finishing, "A Year of Wonders" about the Black Plague in a small English village. This was my second time reading the book, a story which I enjoy. Upon finishing I reflected on the story and characters, grateful that I had my good husband instead of one of the supporting men who turned out to have much more to himself than originally thought. As I was thinking about my sweet husband, I was gently reminded that I hadn't been the best wife these past few weeks with all the drama involving my leg and family. And then came to my mind the things I could do to be better and where I was lacking. I was humbled, instructed, and hopeful.

The above is what I love about the Spirit. If you live righteously, the Holy Ghost will speak to you whenever the opportunity arises. It can be at a random moment with something completely unrelated to where the Spirit takes you. It can be the result of a chain of thoughts. But the Spirit, if we live worthy of its companionship, always gets our minds where they need to be and teaches us. I am so grateful for those moments of humble teaching. I try to do my best to always keep the Holy Ghost with me so I don't miss out on those golden times of instruction. What a great blessing the Spirit is!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just love you! You are wonderful! I read a talk this past week about how sometimes are lives are so filled with 'static' that it is hard to listen to those promptings. I know that sometimes it is in those quiet hours of night that I receive some of the most important answers. So thankful for you!