Thursday, August 18, 2011

Reality Bites

I don't think I ever saw the Winona Ryder movie from 1994, "Reality Bites", but I am stealing the title to describe this week. Doesn't it seem like bad things come in 3? What is up with that? Who made up that law? And don't you want to slap people who say, "Well, that's just life!"? No, it's not. It's a really bad week, month, etc. It's not a normal occurence to break a bone, have a parent hospitalized, or need major repair done on your car. And if it is a regular thing for you, then I am sorry because your life isn't fair. Here is the drama of this week, and I hope it's over for the moment. The Greek gods of chaos can move on to someone else now, please.
  1. Friday night we drove up to the Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City to see "The Glass Menagerie". Not my most favorite play, but Marshall loves it and we were celebrating our anniversary. Talk about a depressing show, but it was nice to get a date. On our way home we hit construction and got behind two semi-trucks, which started throwing up rocks at us with their rear tires. It was nerve wracking, but we thought we had escaped unmarred. The next morning proved we had a crack in our windsheild that grew with time. So we got to buy a new windshield. It turned out to be a much more expensive date than originally planned for.
  2. After two months of trying to figure out what is wrong with my leg, my MRI from last week proved that I have a stress fracture. No wonder I have been in such pain, my bone has a crack in it. It's broken! Today I went to the doctor and got a "boot" I get to clomp around with for the next three weeks. No exercising and lots of time off my feet. After the three weeks I go back to see if it is healing. If not,we may have to do a cast. I think I shall go insane. Anyone who knows me knows that I am active. At least we have answers and, hopefully, my leg will heal quickly.
  3. The scariest thing about this week was finding out my dad was hospitalized Monday. He had a bad headache, couldn't sleep, and his heart was racing. It turned out his heart was out of rhythm. One part was beating at a different pace than the others. The doctors shocked his heart back into rhythm and he is doing much better, but has to stay in the hospital until Friday for observation. I love my dad and have thought immortal. I mean the possibility of losing a parent is just something no one likes to think about, but this week it came hard and fast here. It's been an emotional week. I am so glad my dad is doing better. The hardest part is being so far away from him. I would jump on a plane if I could. I told my dad no more of this nonsense. He just can't get sick anymore. He thought that was amusing.
I hope next week is better. What I really need is a magic wand. Then I could apparate to my dad's hospital room, mend my leg, and fix the crack in my windshield for free. Where is Harry Potter when you need him?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! It has been a hard week for you. I hope this next week will be better. Take care of yourself.

annjeanette said...

Hang in there dearest. You're in my prayers.