Monday, July 28, 2008

Die Hard Mommy-ist

When I was a teenager, I was a die-hard feminist. You had to watch out for me and my steel toed shoes. I was on a man-hating mission and was going to conquer the world. Now that I am older and much wiser, I am a die-hard mommy-ist. I love being a mom and will defend my role and importance as mom. Don't talk trash to me about being a mom or the work of a mom or I may get you with my steel toed shoes. Okay, not really. I don't have those shoes anymore, but I can still get pretty fired up over being a mom.

I think being a mom is one of the toughest and most rewarding jobs on the planet. I work with three, soon to be four, adorable, little people. Each has their own personality and tastes. Great things are asked of me, like mind reading, changing the weather, speeding up time or slowing it down, creating constant peace among warring factions who often lack any sense, food including the food I eat, patience, grooming, the stamina of an Olympic athlete, instant gratification (now, now, now!), multi-multi-tasking and listening, the chance to sit for a few minutes undisturbed, having a phone conversation I can hear, privacy in the bathroom, the abilitiy to leap buildings in a single bound, and sleep. I have no office to go hide in when my co-workers demand too much of me, unless the bathroom counts. And my work day never really ends until everyone is asleep, but even then they can come in with a last minute assignment. It's a tough job.

But the benefit's far outweigh the work. Who cares about 410ks, insurance plans, bonuses, etc.? My perks are much more meaningful. A smile, hug, kiss, giggle, or kind word. Watching my little co-workers learn from me and try to emulate the principles taught in our home. Just looking into their cute faces and knowing they are mine. Sure, the job is hard, but I cannot imagine wanting to do anything else. No degree or worldly recognition could ever compensate for the rewards I get every day.

No comments: