Friday, July 25, 2008

Ha!

As I was heading to play my most favorite computer game "Dyno-mite", I can across a MSN article entitled "Can a family eat on $100 a week?" It immediately peeked my curiosity. I had to read and see what the opinion was. You see, we've been feeding our family for less than a $100 a week since the beginning. We still do. So I had to know what "tips" were given and I wanted a good laugh because I found this so amusing. They made it sound like it was awful and so hard, but I don't think our menu at home is such torture. It just showed that we live in a world where people don't want to take time for things, like planning meals for family. We want instant everything. Don't make me work for it! Don't make me think too hard! In the trial there was a family of four who took the challenge to see if they could eat for $100 a week. This included any eating out, etc. So the mom sat down and did her planning. They did pretty well, only going over a little here and there. This quote made me chuckle:

"With a $100 budget, there's no room for error. Every meal and snack has to be meticulously planned, and the whole family has to eat it. In my case, with two adults, a toddler and a 4-year-old, that's a pretty wide swing."

I have to say "D'uh". Yes, cooking for a family does take some planning. Since we didn't start out with a huge budget when we first got married, I've become very used to planning out all my meals and there are some meals where our kids just don't eat a lot because they don't like the fare. Oh well. Such is life. I can remember being "tortured" as a child and having to eat nasty things, like hamburger soup, or starve. That's just part of growing up. But I didn't die from starvation and I don't think my kids will either. Plus, they learn to appreciate the food they have. I don't want to cater to my children at every meal. They need to learn that the world doesn't revolve around them.

I also found this quote interesting about "food storage":

"Most people could reap the biggest benefits from stockpiling a few weeks' worth of items in their pantry or freezer when they see a good sale."

Isn't that what the church has been telling us for years? Stock up! Following that advice has saved our butts many a time when thing's got tight in school. It just makes sense. I can't fathom living any other way.

I don't feel oppressed or like my freedom has been taken away because I have to plan meals and (gasp) make things from scratch. I enjoy it. And it doesn't take that long. I know everyone doesn't feel the same way I do about cooking, but you can plan cheap healthy meals that take little preparation. It all comes down to attitude and motivation. Cooking can be fun. Meal planning can be fun. And it doesn't have to take time or consist of a diet of rice and beans. Just use your noggin and see what you can come up. Remember, what doesn't kill you, will make you stronger. . . and save you some money!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue, thanks for the invite to your blog. I recently started a family blog-it will mostly contain pics and news of the family every once in awhile. It's called "The Rambler". Feel free to check it out. Thanks again. Your family is beautiful! ;) Jessica

Anonymous said...

Good minds think a like:) We have a budget of $250 for two weeks for our family of six. Our saying is that if you're hungry you'll eat what we fix or not eat at all.