Thursday, July 31, 2008

Taking the Plunge

I am always nervous when it comes to trying new things. Mainly because I don't want to look like a complete idiot in the process. But usually, whether or not I make a fool of myself, I am glad I took the plunge and did something new.

A month or so ago my husband asked one of our Family History people from church to come and help me get started on my line. I was so excited and nervous for her visit. Due to conflicting schedules, we weren't able to get together until yesterday. I was unsure about what to expect and worried I'd look like a complete idiot because I have no clue whatsoever when it comes to family history. Of course, all my worries where in vain.

I had a wonderful time working with Sister F. She showed me how to use the PAF program and how to look up information about my family for free on-line. She gave me some great tips on searching that I had never thought of and some good ideas about how to keep my research organized. We found some great websites that have lots of names from my family line. (Yeah for the Dutch and their love of genealogy! They are meticulous.) Now I will have a lot to keep me busy with.

It was a wonderful learning experience and I am glad I did it. Trying new things doesn't have to be scary. I am so pumped to get working on my family history and, my goodness, I have my work cut out for me!

1 comment:

annjeanette said...

I am so excited for you! Good luck trying to find time to do it with small children. I wish I had more time for it. I LOVE family history and wish I was there with you so we could have a "day off" and go do fam his together! Good luck!