Monday, August 23, 2010

Angry Over Angry Attendant

I am sure by now you all have heard about Steven Slater, otherwise known as the "angry flight attendant", who quit his job in a the dramatic style. When taxiing into JFK airport, Slater got into an argument with a passenger who refused to stay in his seat. Somehow Slater got hit in the head with said passenger's overhead baggage. His response? To get on the loud speaker, swear at the passengers, grab a beer, and exit by deploying the emergency chute. Since then Slater has become famous, deemed by some as "the working man's hero" because he had the nerve to stand up to a rude customer. By other's he has been condemned for his arrogant, dangerous behavior.

I hate to even use blog space on this guy, but I have to comment. Congratulations, you had a hissy fit and now are famous. Big whoop! Anyone can do that. I mean seriously, was there not a better way to handle the situation? I completely understand the desire to go off on a rude passenger. I have been on airplanes where I have wanted to yell at a few self centered fellow travelers myself. Through my work experience I have had to deal with annoying, rude customers before. Encountering such kind of people is just part of life. I have dreamed of telling them off and doing something dramatic. Who hasn't? It's unfair to be treated cruelly by another.

After the incident Slater was arrested and I agree with the action taken against him. What he did was thoughtless, dangerous, and unnecessary. If he wanted to quit then and there, he could have without swearing at the flight and deploying the chute. What about all those other people who were not involved in the incident who had to endure his behavior? And really, deploying the chute? C'mon! What is that supposed to accomplish aside from dramatic flare? Totally unnecessary and dangerous. If I was Jet Blue I wouldn't want to employ someone who was so emotional and dramatic. Who knows what could send Slater off the deep end? Ticking time bomb.

What makes a real hero is someone who can turn the other cheek. A person who can rise above rude behavior and move forward. I agree that some people can be jerks and should be called on the floor for it. But should we really be rewarding someone for rude dangerous behavior? What does that say about our society?

No comments: