Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ever learning as I go

I love my husband and think he is an amazing man. Watching him serve as bishop has been a wonderful and challenging experience. I am glad it is him rather than me! Let me be at home with the kids and he can deal with the hard stuff.

It amazes me the patience, kindness, and love he shows for our ward members. Not that he is not any of the above, but he can call on those qualities in even the most difficult circumstances. I know those are gifts of the calling, but he is a humble man to begin with. People come to him in situations far beyond his years of experience, with their lives falling apart, looking to him for help, hope, and guidance. Eeek! How could someone question whether a bishop is called of God after seeing what a bishop does? There is no way my husband could do his calling without the help of the Lord. If it was me I'd have a hard time showing kindness to those who were struggling as a result of their own decisions. I'd more likely want to slap them and say "Knock it off!" But bishops have that gift of their calling that allows them much needed tenderness, wisdom, and firmness in such times.

It was hard at first to see my husband as bishop because he is my husband. I know all his faults and sometimes I think I know better than him. And sometimes I do. But as I've seen him fulfill his calling these past two and a half years, I have witnesses over and over again that he IS called of God. He is my bishop.

One thing thing that has really helped me give him the proper respect for his calling is to think of him as the bishop and not my husband. How would I feel if I heard the bishop was sick, dealing with some troubled youth, or just enduring the trials of mortal life? I would care about him, pray for him, and wish I could make his burden light. I'd want to cut him some slack for not being perfect and follow his wise counsel because of his God given mantle. So why not apply that same rationale to my own husband? By seeing him as my bishop, not just my husband, I tend to have more compassion, understanding, and mercy towards him. I want to do my best to make his load lighter and I can in whatever small ways possible. I'm not always good at it, but I try.

It's been an interesting experience we've had thus far and I have been blessed to learn a lot from it. I am grateful to my sweet husband and for all he does for me, our family, and all those who are under his care as bishop. He is a good man.

1 comment:

annjeanette said...

I agree. He is a good guy.