Thursday, August 12, 2010

Second Day Blues

Day Two of school was not such a wonderful success. After the first day, Rachel told me she liked First Grade enough, but did not like having to wear her glasses or being gone all day. Anna, of course, had a blast and is set to go for the year. I was a bit nervous to see what the second morning of school would bring for Rachel.

I knew I was doomed when Rachel started off by telling me her stomach hurt. She learned last year that she got to stay home from school when she was sick. But I caught on to her frequent belly aches and made her go to kindergarten when she was faking. I guess she thought she'd give it a whirl today, but I was on to her. The walk to the bus stop included a lot of whimpering and tears. I felt like I was taking her to her doom, but knew there was no other choice. when the bus came she planted her feet firmly in the ground and refused to budge. I led her by the hand to the bus and physically placed her on the steps, all the while she was crying. I gave her a kiss and she finally went to sit down. Of course, I felt horrible for my sweet tender girl. I know she misses me while she is at school and it is hard to get used to eating at school and being gone all day. I hope she did okay today. I want her to be happy. I know it'll just take a few days of tears.

Poor sweet Rachel. We shall see what this afternoon brings. Marshall has told stories of crying a lot in First Grade because he missed his mom. And I was always a shy child in grade school. It must run in the family.

1 comment:

annjeanette said...

Bless her heart. She sounds like what Michelle was telling me about Layla. Michelle said that Layla wouldn't eat breakfast or lunch, but now, a few weeks after school has begun, she is eating at home and at school. Bless the hearts of these sweet girls. You'll both get through it, I know it! Change is so hard, darn it! Why do we have to do it?! Why do we have to watch our kids do it?! I'll say an extra prayer for her.