Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I am a rich woman

In this economy of gloom and doom, it's easy to lose sight of what is important in life. The things we work hard for seem even more unattainable with the current limitations of the market. During my birthday and, again, last night as I rocked my sweet two year old to sleep, I was reminded of what matters most in life. Material possessions and accomplishments come and go, but it is the relationships we create that last and matter the most. I'd rather be someone rich with friends and family than with dollars and gold. (though I wouldn't be sad if I had both!)

I was humbled by how many well wishers took time out of their day to call, stop by, or write on-line to share some birthday cheer. All the kind thoughts that were given. It is my friends that make my life rich and full of happiness. I feel so blessed to have the friends I do and am glad for all they bring to me.

And how lost I would be without my family! I am the most amazing, beautiful, powerful, kind person according to my kids. There is a reason why when I sit down they all cover me in a pile of kids. There is a reason why they share their fears, pains, and hopes with me. And I have the power to make or break the day for my sweet husband. I have people who love and need me.

This isn't meant to be an ego trip into how amazing I am, but rather a reflection on what matters most. I am not rich according to the world. There are lots of things I would love to have. But I am wealthy when it comes to relationships. When I grow old and gray, it shouldn't matter to me what possesions I have acquired, but rather the people who have touched my life and have been influenced for good by me. That is how I want to be remembered. I have a loving family who needs me and friends who love me. I am a rich woman, truly blessed in what matters most.

1 comment:

annjeanette said...

Can't wait to see you Saturday! And I agree - you are pretty amazing!