Sunday, April 17, 2011

My first race


I have been back into running for the past four weeks now. I had toyed with the idea of running and finally decided to just give it a whirl. I LOVE to run, but shied away from it because I always end up with knee problems. Cursed right knee! But this time I invested in a good pair of running shoes and decided to do things right. I have gotten advice from the Internet and some friends who are big into running. And I am proud of the progress I have made since I started, despite my silly right knee.

This weekend I decided to run a 5K on a whim. I only read about it in the newspaper on Friday and the run was on Saturday. Anxious to get a race under my belt, I decided to give it a try. It was a lot of fun and a great learning experience. It was a very low key race. So much so that only six runners showed up! And I was the only beginner. It was very humbling as we started out and everyone just went out ahead of me. I was the last one in. It didn't help that the run started uphill and stayed that way for the first half. Plus my ipod wasn't cooperating for some random reason, so I had to run with only my thoughts. I only function with music! Still, I was determined and I ran it and finish it! I learned a lot and was glad for the experience. Even though I was the last one in, out of the whopping 6 runners, I got a medal for placing 2nd in the Women's Division. That was nice. It was a great feeling of accomplishment! I am proud of myself. One race down and more to come!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Hi Sushi,

You go!

Bonnie said...

Go, Sue! You rock!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! That is a great accomplishment. Happy Birthday to you!