Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A lesson from a child


It's amazing how much one can learn from children if she just takes the time. Although raising Jacob is a non-stop adventure, I am learning a lot more from him than just to what degree my patience can last.

Monday morning found Jacob downstairs, spinning in circles, clapping his hands, and chanting, "Yeah Jacob!". He hadn't done anything that resulted in this celebration, he just decided to break out in shouts and cheer himself on. It was the cutest thing to watch. He shows so much enthusiasm for himself. I love it!

Then it got me thinking about how we all could use a little dosage of such excitement for self in our own lives. When was the last time you cheered yourself on for no apparent reason? I seriously don't know. I can tell you my most recent episode of chastising myself for making a mistake. But I don't know when I gave myself a happy dance just because I'm me. Adults learn inhibitions and, sometimes, that's not a good thing. We focus more on what we do wrong and fail to see what we do right. And we rarely take the time to cheer ourselves simply because of who we are. Think of what good such positive energy could do for everyone! I'm not talking about being self focused, but feeling confident enough to love ourselves and be happy for being us!

Jacob still may pick up food from the ground, try to shove a roll of toilet paper down the potty, or ride his truck down the middle of the street, but he teaches me so much every day about how I can be better and happier. Being a mom is a learning experience for everyone and I love it!

1 comment:

annjeanette said...

Yes. Probably why we are commanded to be like little children. It is good we don't live too close. I can only imagine the horror Jacob & Emma would cause. She is WORSE than Shayla, if you can believe it!!! It gives me nightmares!