Sunday, March 28, 2010

My new great read


I am hooked on Charles Todd's Ian Rutledge series. The first book I read, number four in the series, was "Legacy of the Dead". Since then I have read the first two books and plan to continue on. I love these books!

In the series we follow Detective Ian Rutledge, of the Scotland Yard, as he continues his life investigating murders while recovering from the aftershock of fighting in World War I. Such a task isn't easy for Rutledge as he is often "haunted" by his war memories. The flash backs to the war are fascinating. WWI tends to be a forgotten war in comparison to the second world war. But it is full of fascinating facts, drama, and heroes. The conditions endured in the trenches are unimaginable.

Along with his "war baggage", Rutledge contends with his boss who is set on making him look unqualified. Regardless, with exciting plot twists and turns, our dear inspector always catches his murderer. Never a dull moment, filled with interesting facts and tidbits that leave one guessing. Scott gives the reader just enough to keep interest, wanting to know more. And the characters are believeable. I feel as if I know Inspector Rutledge on a personal basis and am always curious what he will uncover in his next case.

Best of all, the books are clean! So if you're looking for a good read, try out Charles Todd's Inspector Ian Rutledge series. You won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

annjeanette said...

Will you email me the beginning book and the titles of the other books in the series? It sounds like one I would love! Thanks!

Stephanie Black said...

Thanks for the recommendation! Sounds like a series I'd really enjoy.