Tuesday, March 15, 2011

3 years?!

March 9th came and went and I didn't even make notice of it. Pretty scary. I must be getting used to the way things are now. In years gone past I was anxiously awaiting March 9th so I could cross one more year off in my mind. But not this time.

What's the big deal about March 9th? Well, silly, that was the day Marshall was sustained as bishop of our ward and our lives forever changed. Insane that it has been three years since that fateful Sunday. Marshall and I were talking a few nights back about how fast time has gone since then and yet how it feels like this has always been our life. I guess that means I've gotten used to being a bishop's wife.

Sure, there are moments when it seems like this calling (and don't tell me being a bishop's wife is not a calling. It may not be official, but it's still important.) is too much and I just can't do it, but the Lord always carries me through and lightens my burdens. I am amazed I've made it this far and actually, gasp, enjoy it. I'm not talking about being able to say my husband is the bishop. Frankly I get embarrassed when people point out that I am the bishop's wife. What I love is being able to see the Lord's hand in my life and the lives of those around me. Those tender mercies, the kind acts and prayers of ward members for my family and others, the strong spirit of peace and calm in my home. I have learned so much over these past few years and have been strengthened in my testimony. I would even like to think I have become a better person. I have made friendships that I never would have otherwise. My life would be so void without those dear friends! I feel honored and very humbled to be a bishop's wife and am constantly amazed at the goodness of my husband and how the Lord works through him. What an amazing thing to witness!

Three years down, but I don't think I want to keep track as much anymore. Well, maybe it'll be nice to have Marshall make the numerous trips to the bathroom during sacrament meeting as the littler kids all decide at different times that they need to go. And perhaps it'll be pleasant to focus on what is being taught in the meetings or not cringe when the phone rings late at night, but I wouldn't trade it for anything to give up all the good this calling has brought. I will truly miss it when Marshall's time of service is finished. Never thought I'd say that! Good thing the Lord knows better than I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Three years? No way! I love how you put it as, "That fateful sunday!" It was fate. We all new that Marshall would be a bishop. And yes, the Bishop's wife is an official calling if you ask me. I remember President Egbert telling Jon and I, when he was called, that there are many worthy priesthood holders who could be a bishop, but there wife would not have supported them. But that it is very important to have a worthy and supportive wife to be a Bishop. And you are just that. Much love to you. See you in a couple of days. :)