Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Passing of a Legend


Say what you will about Elizabeth Taylor's personal life, many failed marriages, and aging not so gracefully, but you cannot deny the beauty and talent of the woman. Hollywood lost one of it's legends today as Elizabeth Taylor passed away at age 79.

I remember being a young girl and seeing her for the first time in "Cleopatra". I was blown away by the grandeur of the movie and mesmerized by Taylor's unrivaled beauty. I had hoped Cleopatra was as breath taking as Taylor because then I would understand why Caesar and Mark Anthony were so smitten by her. I wanted to be Cleopatra. I wanted to be Elizabeth Taylor. Such beauty and style in a queen is every girl's dream.

Years later I saw Ms. Taylor in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof", watching her go head to head with Paul Newman. The sparks between those two big screen personalities gave me goose bumps. Not only was she gorgeous, but Taylor could act. She was filled with passion. She may have fit into the classic beauty of the 1950's and 1960's, but she wasn't your Maryland Monroe or Dorris Day. This silver screen goddess had claws. And she was good at using them. To see her come to life on the screen was amazing.

I hope Ms. Taylor has finally found some rest after living a very full and often dramatic life. She may be gone, but her impact on Hollywood will not be forgotten. She was a legend and well deserving of the title.

No comments: