Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Mystery that is Jacob


I knew I shouldn't have celebrated Jacob's potty training yet. How foolish I was to think he was good to go and had figured out the system?! Sigh. I wish I could peek into his little mind and see what makes it do the things it does.

You see, he was potty trained and doing well, except for when it came to more serious bathroom needs. That wasn't a big deal as all my children had that fear. However, somehow, someway, the boy decided to stop using the potty at all. He must have sense a change in the force, Mom was happy and that had to change! He would let himself hold it all in until he was in complete agony, dancing around the house, screaming in pain, but refusing the relieve himself. I even have witnesses to testify of such behavior. My brother-in-law got so frustrated with Jacob that he put him on the training potty. Because it was someone different, ie. not mom and dad, Jacob sat for awhile, but refused to produce anything. You know, because it is so much more fun to have a full bladder than an empty one.

We then decided that instead of going insane, which I pretty much already was, we'd put Jacob back in diapers and tell him he had to wear diapers as he wasn't going being a big boy and going on the potty. Plus maybe this would allow him to get back into the habit of going to the bathroom. So silly! It couldn't be THAT easy! He'll wear a diaper now, but still talks about going potty and refuses to go in his diaper. This is the part where I jump off a bridge. The boy just can't seem to make up his mind what he wants and, meanwhile, is driving me bonkers. His cuteness is his only salvation at the moment.

3 comments:

Lempskies said...

I hate potty training. I wish I had some good tips to share, but I find it frustrating myself. So, I'll just wish you lots of luck with that.

Sue, I want to thank you for all the sweet things you comment on my blog. Now if some of our own dumb siblings could just follow your cue & say something nice or ACKNOWLEDGE AT ALL that we are hurting, that would sure be nice.


It just means a lot that you share such kind words. Thank you for being my friend.

annjeanette said...

Potty training is evil. Good luck.

I still have not even attempted with Emma. It is looming over my head like a huge black cloud. I know it needs to be done, but I think that getting her sleeping and staying in bed first is my first priority.

Why can't they just come potty trained?

And I do think boys are more difficult than girls.

Keep your chin up!

Mandy said...

Hmmmm.... I think jumping off a bridge is appropriate for this kind of behavior. I think you just "signed up for Parenting 505" with that kid. Thanks for your email!