Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I am Blessed

It's been awhile since I've written about my awesome husband. The poor guy has had some crazy months adjusting to a new baby, having many needs in the ward, and working a job that can be stressful and often involves crabby clients. How he does it? I just don't know.

I was reminded of how awesome my husband truly is when I got back into contact with some friends from my hometown ward. I had dated some of the guys and it was interesting to see that a few of them had fallen away from the church. Boy, my life would have been way different had I ended up with one of them! It made me think how glad I am to know my husband has a strong testimony of the Gospel. Now, I know no one is invincible to sin, but I'm pretty sure my husband isn't going to go astray any time soon. I think about my sister who is going through a divorce after twenty years of marriage and six kids. Things just didn't turn out as planned and it has been years since her husband has set foot into a church. What would I do if Marshall decided to "call it quits" on the Gospel? (Probably kick him in the rear, right?) My greatest concern before marriage was finding someone who wouldn't poop out and go inactive after a few years of marriage. But it's a worry I don't have because I know Marshall and I know his testimony is built on a firm foundation.

I see him as he sacrifices for his family in working long hours as an attorney. He firmly believes that, if possible, a mother should be at home with her kids. This can't always happen in life and he knows that, but he does everything in his power to make it possible for me to be at home. I know he gets discouraged at work. Who doesn't? I know there are many summer days when he wishes he could be swimming with us rather than being stuck in his office. But he never says "Sue, I'm taking time off for me. I'm done. You go to work. I need to relax." Marshall knows what is expected of him as a provider and carries it out with amazing ability.

He sacrifices for the Gospel to serve our ward and bless our ward and family. I cannot begin to imagine all that he gets to deal with, and I am glad I don't know. He has many happy moments and also sad ones as he works with people. Much time and service is required of him as bishop and yet he does it freely. He doesn't really ever complain about surprise phone calls, emergency meetings, and unexpected crisises that occur, taking him away from home for longer and keeping him further from rest. (Most likely because I do enough of the whining for both of us!) He truly loves the members of our ward. This example is just one in a long list of unfailing service in the church, from a stalwart missionary to a dedicated Gospel doctrine teacher and almost everything in between.

He is amazing. I am sure I don't say it enough, but I have great peace in knowing I married a strong, dependable, Gospel centered man. What more could I ask for? I know my husband will never fail us or the Lord. The joy that brings me is indescribable. I truly am a blessed woman.

1 comment:

annjeanette said...

Sue,

I was saddened to hear that your sister is going through a divorce. Please know that my prayers are with your family.

Also, I am so thankful for who I married. Golly, just hearing about some of the things that others have to deal with, I am just so glad I married Sam! That sure takes a lot of stress away from me.

love you!