Friday, March 27, 2009

No Thanks Chuck E.


There is this Chuck E. Cheese commercial that I have seen lately that drives me bonkers. It's two moms talking over walkie talkies as they spy on their kids playing outside. They keep in contact with each other as they sneak around to make sure they always know where the kids are and let each other know when the kids go inside or move location. Then comes Chuck E. Cheese on the tv asking if you want a safe place for your kids to play then you should go to said food place where the kids can eat, play, and be safe. The end shows the very happy moms saying the Chuck E. Cheese slogan.

This commercial bothers me so much because it is a product of our insanely over-protective parent society. We can't just let kids play anymore. We have to monitor their every move. Something bad could happen if we don't keep an eye on them at all times. Imagine the horror if we let them play outback or at a friend's house! Why don't we just send them to the ghetto with hundred dollar bills stapled to their clothes and see how they fare?! What kind of negligent parent lets their kids play on their own?

Well, I guess I am one of those horrible parents. I let my kids play outside and even in the neighbors yard unattended. I know, I am evil. I am just asking for my kids to be hurt or seriously twisted for life. What has happened to our society when we can no longer feel comfortable sending our kids out to play in their own yard? Are we that worried about bad things happening to our children? Can we not allow them a little freedom, especially when it comes to play? I think, and I remind you that I am one of those horrid negligent parents, that children should be allowed to run free in their yard. They shouldn't have to be monitored all the time in their play. I also am highly against structured play groups that delegate activities for the kids. Childhood is a time to develop one's imagination. There is no end to a child's creativity. As I write this my children are busily making a King Boo family out of balloons and markers. My kids are always coming up with interesting and fun games. Their little spirits would be crushed if I was constantly towering over them and watching their every move. And as they got older, they would fight against me because I kept limiting their creativity and freedom.

Parents who spy on and stalk their children are only asking for problems in the future. Childhood is also a great time to let children learn trust. I trust my children to play outside and behave. When they are naughty and fight or make messes in the neighbor's yard, that privilege is revoked until they have proven them self worthy of it again. They are allowed to make choices and learn the consequences for their actions. Children who are not allowed to exercise such freedom have a tendency to grow up irresponsible and clueless about how their actions affect others.

So sorry Chuck E., but you didn't sell me on that commercial. Not that I would take my kids to a place like that often anyway. Along with believing that my children should be allowed to be children, I also believe in a bank account, which would be wiped out if I went to Chuck E. Cheese every time my kids wanted to play. We'll just stick to the backyard and take our chances.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Amen sister!
I could not agree more!!!