Friday, March 20, 2009

We NEED this

The power of suggestion is amazing and the best at it are the television commercials. Normally when my kids watch tv and see commercials, which is rare due to our dvr recording most shows (Man, are we spoiled!), they tell me how they want most of the toys they see advertised. No big surprise there. But this week Anna has been home from school for Spring break and, being older and wiser, has picked up on a few products that I NEED to get.

The first is Pampers diapers. She saw a commercial for them and swears we HAVE to get them for Jacob. You see, Pampers claims it's diapers stops leaks and my innocent child believes that a diaper exists that can actually do that. So now whenever the kids see that commercial, they immediately yell out "Mom! We need to get those diapers for Jacob!". But I am much wiser than the advertisers would have me be. I've had four babies and I know that the possibility of a diaper that stops leaks is the same as President Obama doing something to help the economy. Ain't gonna happen. It's a fairy tale never to be realized. Plus, through experience, I know Pampers don't work as well for boys as Huggies do. But I do think my kids' concern is sweet.

At dinner the other night I was talking to Marshall about putting some garden fresh veggies in a baggie. Anna immediately piped in "Mom, you need to get the green bags. They help your food stay fresh up to 7 days longer." Oh my goodness. I knew exactly which commercial she was talking about because she almost quoted the ad verbatim. That commercial where using those special green storage bags will help your food stay fresh longer. Apparently Anna had also seen that on tv this week. Marshall and I tried our best stifle our giggles and thanked Anna for her help.

This summer it'll be interesting to see what else she picks up from commercials. It's also goes to show the importance of knowing what your kids are watching. They are little sponges and absorb everything so make sure they are watching good things on tv. I can't wait to see what new products I need to buy this summer. The possibilities are endless.

3 comments:

mathmom said...

I find this very funny. And, Samuel must be on the same level as Anna on these things. He saw a truck commercial today and came running to me exclaiming, "Mom! They just showed a commercial for the BEST truck in the world!" He was very impressed.

Michelle said...

That is funny!

Anonymous said...

Just wait til they stumble upon an infomercial. My kids were especially enamoured of the steam cleaner--NO chemicals!