Thursday, March 5, 2009

What a woman!

As far as mother-in-laws go, I think I got a pretty sweet deal. Not only is she a good person, but I actually like her too. This is a big deal if you have ever read "Dear Abby". I'm actually supposed to be hating my m-i-l, but I don't. Kathy's awesome.

I admire her for her strong testimony of the gospel, her ability to raise six kids and stay sane, her vast medical knowledge, sense of humor, practical advice, non-interfering ways, charity, kindness, and the fact that she is a fun grandma. I've had the "privilege" of living in her house a few times during internships,etc. and even still we like each other. That's a big deal. She always speaks her mind so there is never any wondering where you stand with her. And she worries about silly things like I do, but not the same things, so we get along just fine. Plus, she raised one amazing son that his mother-in-law thinks can do no wrong.

One thing I love that Kathy does is "grandma day". Twice a month she takes the kids for three hours in the morning. It is a great idea. Yes, it's nice for me to get out without any kids in tow, though right now I still keep Jacob with me because we don't want to leave him with Grandma and cause too much stress, and do what I want. Get a haircut, window shop, clothes shop, mop my floor, take a nap, you name it. With my husband being so busy as bishop, I hate to leave home to do any of those things on nights he is actually home. That is too precious of time to waste. This way I get my "sanity time" without taking away time from being with him. Could she give me a better gift than that?

But what I really like about "grandma day" is the memories the kids are building. They come back and tell me all about playing with their cousins and Grandma, adventures that include picking apples, building blanket forts, baking cookies, playing in the garden, picking flowers, and running around like crazy maniacs. It's great!

One of the main reasons we moved to St. George was so that our kids could be near grandparents. We wanted them to grow up knowing and having memories of their Grandma and Granddad. (Too bad we can't be near all the grandparents!) I lived near my grandparents, but never really knew them or felt very comfortable around them. We just didn't have that "grandparent/ grandchild" relationship that you hear about. But my kids do with their grandparents. They love going to their house. They feel welcome and comfortable. They get excited to tell Grandma the latest stories in their lives. And Jimmy loves to garden with Granddad. When the kids go to their house, they know they'll feel loved and important.

So I love Grandma, my mother-in-law. She's an awesome lady. I hope when I reach the "grandma years" that I can be as cool and as fun a grandma as she.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

What a nice tribute! She is an amazing woman. I wish I could take advantage of Grandma days, too.

mathmom said...

I second everything you said. Kathy is the perfect Mother-in-law, and our kids are creating very precious memories with her and Grandad. We are very blessed!

annjeanette said...

Can I be her grandchild? I still love the story you told me of her throwing mashed potatoes over the head of one of her girls!