Friday, June 26, 2009

The King of Pop


I've often wondered what would have happened if Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, and JFK hadn't had their lives tragically cut short. If they had been able to grow old and had more time for personal blunders, when their looks and talents had faded, would they still be immortalized after their deaths? Would JFK still be so romanticized had he had a chance to complete his term and let more of his policies go into action?

I thought about this again when I heard about the death of Michael Jackson. I don't care what your opinion is of the man, but you have to admit he had talent. He revolutionized music and truly was worthy of the title "King of Pop". And he could dance. Hello? The moonwalk! I still get goosebumps every time I hear "Thriller" and "Billy Jean", two of my most favorite Jackson songs. They just flow through me with their incredible beat and music. I can't help, but want to dance and be happy. Not to mention to fun music of "The Jackson Five". He was the one who really had the talent.

But I don't think younger generations will remember him so much for his skill. Since he had the chance to grow past his prime, he also had the opportunity to tarnish his reputation. His odd parenting habits, changing of his skin color, child sex scandals, etc. I don't justify what he did, but I do believe that entertainers pay a price for their talent by giving themselves over to the public. Very few of them come out unmarred. The scandals are what will be remembered by many, not the musical genius.

Michael Jackson was a skilled musician that also was plagued by personal demons. I hope he can find some peace. I'd like to focus on the good he contributed to the music world. Maybe I'll just have to bust out my "Thriller" album and get my groove on. After all, it is my children's favorite. They know their music.

1 comment:

annjeanette said...

I LOVE old school Michael Jackson! Can we come dance to Thriller with you?!

Also, isn't it sad that Farrah Fawcett died the same day?