Friday, June 19, 2009

My Dad

Every little girl grows up thinking her dad is Superman, but the fact of the matter is that my dad actually is. When I think about my father and all he has done and sacrificed for me, I can't help but tear up and burst with my love, admiration, and pride for him. He is an amazing man.

My dad was raised in the good old farm country of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. I remember him telling stories of the adventures of living without indoor plumbing and terrorizing his little sister with tobacco worms. I saw pictures of him as a young man and he was quite the dashing looking fellow. He joined the army and worked in the Officer's Club at West Point. No wonder my mom was so smitten with him. After my parents married he drove truck for 29 years. It was only when I became an adult that I learned he wasn't a big fan of that job, but he did it so he could provide for his family. He is a hard worker.

To me there seems like there is nothing my dad can't do. He's finished off rooms by himself, kept an immaculate yard and garden, squished rodents, hunted deer, caught fish, trapped squirrels, bowled a perfect game, and hit baseballs as high as the sky. I grew up thinking all men could do such things and was terribly surprised when I got married and my husband did not think he should have to catch the mouse that was in our apartment. I was spoiled by my dad.

My dad also made many sacrifices for us. When my parents divorced, we lived with him for a short time, but it was difficult to balance working full-time and caring for me and my sister. We eventually went to live with my mom, even though it was a very tough thing for my dad to do. Thereafter we only saw him ever other weekend growing up. He missed out on Christmas morning, birthdays, Halloween, Easter morning, and all those little everyday interactions that happens between a parent and child. I know it was so hard for him to not be a huge part of our lives, but he sacrificed it all for us so we could be in a home where there was a parent available. I cannot imagine what he went through watching us grow up and not always being there.

I love my dad. Words cannot describe how incredible he is. I love getting hugs from him and seeing his emotions come out in his tender eyes. He is a strong man. He is one of my heroes. I always wanted to marry a man as good as my dad and I am proud to say that I did. I only hope my boys will grow up to be as good of men as their grandfather is.

No comments: