Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Worth the Sacrifice

Sometimes I wonder if I will ever not fall asleep at quiet time when we all sit down to watch a show. Will I ever not feel tired? Or will my stomach not rest in a fleshy puddle when I lay on my side, no matter how much I work-out and eat right? One day will I be able to go into public without worrying about attention that may be drawn to me, like from my three year-old pushing the baby stroller down the hill and watching it topple over with glee while I try to not murder him in public for doing it. (No, the baby wasn't in it, thank goodness.) Will I be able to go through two minutes of time without ever hearing that "Moooommmmm!" call that sometimes makes me shudder?

Yes, being a parent can be quite an ordeal that pushes one to the limit. There is nothing like it. But there is also nothing like the sweet rewards that come from it.

The kids started swimming lessons yesterday. I was worried about how Jimmy would handle it. He was terrified and cried the whole time, refusing to peel himself off my leg to hit the pool. But once class was over, he threw an even bigger tantrum because he had missed out. I had to pull the stroller out backwards to the car because Jimmy was hanging on the front trying to stop me. Yes, I dragged him through the locker rooms,across the lawn, and to the van. It was awesome! We got a lot of attention. (Sigh).

Today he refused to put his suit on and didn't want to go to class. Well, I threatened him with anything and everything I could think of because I know my boy is just stubborn. If I give in he's won. I did get his suit on him and to class, but once again he became glued to my leg. There were a few other kids who were having a hard time going and so the teacher took everyone to the kiddie pool. Jimmy sat on the edge with me to watch his class and soon was in the water playing and racing with everyone else. Then they moved back over to the big pool. He was so excited! At the end of his class, he didn't want to go. On the way home he kept talking about his teacher and how much fun his class is. Whew!

The look of triumph and pride on Jimmy's face after his class was priceless. He was on top of the world! All the sacrifices, like peeing in private and a perky chest, that I have to endure by being a mom are totally worth it when I have moments like that. I love seeing my children succeed and gain confidence in themselves. It's a wonderful feeling. Though much is asked of me as a mom, I receive countless blessings and tender moments in return.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Very cool! Good for Jimmy and good for you for not giving up.

Sarah said...

You're hilarious, Sue :) I love your sacrifices of peeing in private and a perky chest....I can't wait for those days! Ha!