Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Well Worth My Time


I love historical fiction because I love history. Not everyone can write about actual facts and dates like David McCullough, so I like to venture into the fictional aspect to make things more exciting. However, this can be dangerous grounds. I know I will be reading clean novels if I read LDS historical fiction, but what happens when I want to read about the Dark Ages? Hard to incorporate the Gospel into a book when it didn't exist in that time period. Reading non-LDS fiction is like walking out into a murky lake, you never know what you'll step on. I cannot tell you how many times I have picked up what seemed to be a good book, only to throw it down in disgust when I stumble across some vivid romantic interlude. People back then were intimate in the same way our bodies are used today so I don't need the play by play bedroom scene. Some things don't change with time, thank you very much. Argh!

That is why I was very pleased with my latest read, "The Other Queen" by Philippa Gregory. (She is the same author who wrote "The Other Boleyn Girl".) This historical fiction is about the captivity of Mary Queen of Scotts in England. It is written from the perspective of three people, Queen Mary and the husband and wife who are charged with keeping her at their estate. A most fascinating and clean read. I love how we get glimpses into the psyche of the characters. Sure, it is all fiction, but what fun would history be if we can't speculate a bit? Plus Gregory paints the revered Queen Elizabeth in a not so familiar light, one of a paranoid and egotistical ruler. Elizabeth did a lot of great for her country, but she also made some unwise decisions and rulings based on her fear of losing the throne. (Rightfully so since her mother was beheaded by her father.) I like someone who is willing to show the good and bad, within reason, of historical characters.

From start to finish, this book caught my interest. If you are in for a good historical fiction involving intrigue, spies, romance, and heartbreak, this would be it.

2 comments:

annjeanette said...

Oh good. I've wanted to read her because I've heard she is a great author, but have also heard that some of her other novels are quite ... vivid. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to pick it up.

Stephanie Black said...

Sounds like a fascinating book! Thanks for the recommendation.