Tuesday, July 21, 2009

It's all about the food

In just two days we head off to lush green Pennsylvania to see my family. I cannot wait! I didn't realize how much I miss the East until we watched a movie that took place on a farm last week and I found myself looking up real estate in Pennsylvania. I must admit that aside from seeing the fam, there are a few things I am really looking forward to:

1. Taking in some green. I love St. George, but I do miss the farm fields and many trees of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. I think no matter where I live, Lancaster will always have my heart. I just love it!

2. Rita's Water Ice. It's hard to explain to anyone who has never had water ice what exactly it is. To say it is like a sno cone, but better is just an insult to water ice. One day I should open up a Rita's here because it would be a hit. They are soooo good.

3. I love Oregon Dairy. A little fact is that it was built the same year I was born. It's a local grocery store, but they have the best ice cream and macaroni salad. I know that sounds just odd. I am not a big fan of macaroni salad, but I would commit all sorts of crimes to get my hands on Oregon Dairy's salad when I am pregnant. It's just that good. They must put some addictive ingredient in it.

4. Some good Italian food. If you want good Mexican, come out West. But we lack good Italian. I miss "hole in the wall" pizza and pasta joints. Only back East do they know how to make a cannoli. I can't wait to put back some of that divine goodness.


Hmmm, should I be concerned that most of my excitement revolves around food? Nah! I only get it every coupple of years. Pennsylvania here I come!

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

I'll trade you any Italian restaurant you want for one Cafe Rio.

Did I tell you the Rita's next to our house in VA closed? We are so sad!

judy said...

Oh, Sue, I am so with you on this subject although I've never tasted Oregon Dairy mac salad, I do have rememberances of other delicacies such as Italian Hoagies, and I don't mean Subway, and cheese steaks, and yes, cannolis and the best pizza ever! My kids hardly ever think of family when they go back East. It's always the food! When David came back from Philly a couple of weeks ago he brought me one! Heaven in the mouth. :-) I also love scrapple too. I hear it's an aquired taste, but if we make a visit again I plan on stocking up!

annjeanette said...

I am so excited for you that you get to head home for a week. There is nothing as great as being home! I love the green of Oregon. I think I may not head back! :D And my obsession revolves around food as well. There are just somethings you can't get anywhere but there. Although, I agree with Bonnie. I could not give up my Cafe Rio in Vegas. Too yummy! Have so much fun!