Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Refreshingly Good Time


I love it when I come across a good book and am even more pleased when it is in a series. Last week I grabbed "A Royal Pain" off of the new book shelf at the library because it looked fun. And my was it ever! I have become a big fan of author Rhys Bowen. Her writing is fun, whitty, and full of humor. Quite like a comedy of errors. The book takes place in 1930's Great Britain, with our leading lady Georgiana who comes from quite the royal lineage that leaves her 33rd in line for the thrown. However, like most aristocrats, her family is flat broke. She has a title, but not much else. In order to put food in her stomach, Georgie moonlights as a maid for other aristocrats, hoping that they won't recognize her true identity. During all this the Queen asks Georgie to entertain a foreign princess her majesty is determined to marry to her son. As the witty heroine tries to pull off housing a princess on no income and distance herself from and solve the mystery behind the rising body count that seems to plague her, the entertainment unfolds.

I highly recommend this book. However, this is the second book in the series so I would suggest reading the first, which is "Her Royal Spyness". I am excited to check out Bowen's other series with Constable Evans and Molly Murphy.

No comments: