Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Easy usually isn't best

"Wickedness never was happiness". Is there a more true statement than that? No matter how much you dress up sin with ribbons, bows, and sparkling paper, it still will lead to misery. There is just no way around it and you're a moron to think otherwise.

I recently had someone comment to me, "Well, it's better than being alone. Anything is better than being alone", when talking to me about her choice to re-enter a dysfunctional relationship after being lonely for too long. I object! If being alone means that one can be happy, like what she sees in the mirror every day, and follow the path she wants in life, then be all means sign up for solitude! There's nothing better than finding inner peace and harmony and sometimes that means you have to make some tough choices that may not be so fun. That is part of life.

I cannot tell you how many family and friends I have watched repeatedly throw themselves into miserable situations so as to avoid a looming uncomfortable, and often painful, decision. They think by choosing the quick option, their problems will be solved, or at least go away for a bit. And maybe life will be smooth for a time, but eventually, and believe me it always happens, those problems will come back doubled as a result of taking the "easy route". Living a life without responsibility only brings about years of pain, misery, and numerous problems. No matter how tempting the easy choice may be, it will never be the final solution.

We live in a world of lazy adults. Everyone wants a free pass through life. "Don't make me accountable for my actions! It's my life!" Well guess what genius, your life affects the lives of those around you. And sometimes you have to put on your "big boy pants" and deal with the nitty gritty. I remember the first time one of my kids threw up and I thought "I wish my mom were here to clean it up." Then I realized, with horror, that I was now the mom who had to clean up all those nasty bodily function mishaps that happen with children. Ugh! But I did it! Can you imagine how disgusting my home would be if I let it all sit for someone else to take care of? Maybe it would help if we looked at our lives in that perspective. No one is going to fix your problems for you, except you. So get off your butt and do something about it! Whining, ignoring, or avoiding it isn't going to help. And continuing to make stupid choices is going to make a much bigger mess than what you began with.

I'd love it if people would use their brains for a minute. Not what society tells them to believe, but actually thought about what they can do to improve their lives and find happiness, the tough answers. It may take some painful self reflecting, counseling, or, (gasp) change, but it would be far more beneficial than running blindly into a whole new chapter of misery.

No comments: