Thursday, September 10, 2009

Surprisingly Good Read


I know this is harsh, but I feel about Russian literature the way I do about waiting in the doctor's office for an extended period of time while being forced to listen to muzak and having nothing to read. I've never really had any interest to read "Crime and Punishment", but knew I should since it was a classic. Yet that didn't motivate me until this summer when my niece recommended it. Then my husband read it and liked it and so I knew I had to take the plunge.

Well, I stand corrected on this one. I was pleasantly surprised. From the very beginning I was sucked into Dostoevsky's world. I do admit I struggled a little in the middle, but still was intrigued enough to keep reading to find out what happens. We take a trip deep into the psyche of our main character that ends up fascinating and finally promising. Plus we are introduced into a world unlike our own filled with problems we can scarce imagine. If you're in for a good heavy read, I'd definitely recommend this book. It was well worth the time.

2 comments:

annjeanette said...

Good. It has been on my list of things to read. I'll have to take the plunge sometime soon. Thanks!

jmm43 said...

Annjeanette, it really is a very good book. It sucked me in and I never got bored in it. Plus, it really made me think