Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Feelin' Cheated


Most of you know my great love of Italian food. Being born and raised in Pennsylvania, close to Philadelphia, that good kind of eating is in my blood. That's why I was so excited when a new pizzeria, Bella Maria's, opened up near us, claiming to have good Philly style food. Well, I should have remembered that nothing good comes out of New Jersey.

You see, one of the owner's claim to fame and knowledge of "East Coast Cuisine" is the fact that she was born and raised in New Jersey. That should have warned me there. No one who is from New Jersey advertises it. But we still decided to try the place.

Two thumbs way down. Super overpriced mediocre food. I paid $9 for an eggplant sandwich that was tiny. Having just visited back East this summer, I know I could get a sandwich triple the size for 1/2 the price and know it was going to be good. The pizza was unimpressive and not at all what real "East Coast" pizza is. It was too hard of a crust and lacking flavor, but not salt. Sigh. It's times like these when I miss living back East, where "you can spit and hit a good Italian place to eat", as my English teacher brother-in-law puts it. And he's right. You want good Italian, go back East. If you want good Mexican, come to the West. Too bad one can't have the best of both worlds.

Instead, I'm crabby and want my money back. I'm even still a little hungry. Maybe one day I'll open my own Italian joint out here. Until then, thank goodness one saving grace we have in St. George is "Two Fat Guys Pizza". That, my friend, is authentic Philly/ New York style pizza and always makes me think of home.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for the review. We are now in no hurry to go there. However, I do still want a review about Bent Fork.

judy said...

Thanks for the heads up! Philly food is only good in Philly I'm afraid. But I'm happy to know about 2 Fat Guys. Haven't tried them. We always do Papa Murphy's when we have pizza. We'll give it try.