Monday, October 5, 2009

A Powerful Witness

Another General Conference is over and I have yet again been spiritually enriched and fed. I know what I need to do to be better and I have the peace that comes from the Gospel. There were so many great talks shared that were full of wisdom, counsel, and hope. I can't say that I had one that was my particular favorite. (There were too many favorites!) But I can say there was one talk that stands out vividly in my mind, that of Elder Holland.

I have always enjoyed listening to Elder Holland speak. When he teaches, he does so with perfect clarity, power, and love. He can tear up with emotion and at the same time lay down the law of the Gospel in such force it gives me goosebumps. I love the powerful witness he bore of the Book of Mormon. How he stood firm and made it clear to the whole world that it is a book from God and not man. I was humbled by his powerful witness.

It made me realize that we all need to be more like Elder Holland. We live in a time where sin abounds. Society is in decay. No one wants to be responsible. Our children are constantly surrounded by temptation. Satan does a wonderful job of making sin look so delicious and fun. Now more than ever we, as members and parents, need to boldly declare to our children and those around us that we believe in God and live His commandments. No more hinting, implying, or assuming. We need to let it made known who we are and what we believe, especially to our children. One of the best ways we can do that is through our example. Our children and others will not heed a word we say if we don't live by what we claim to believe. At the risk of awkward situations or offending, we need to not be afraid to live the Gospel standards. Such adherence will teach our children that above all else, the Gospel is key.

I was touched this past week when my seven year-old came home from playing with her friend, who doesn't regularly attend church. My daughter, who is shy, had the courage to invite her friend to church. I am so proud of her. She has never been afraid to share her beliefs with others. She's given both my inactive parents lectures on drinking coffee and not attending church. She knows the Gospel is important and it supersedes her shyness.

We need to be more like my daughter and Elder Holland. The time for subtlety has far passed. We need to stand in holy places and boldly declare, by our words and actions, who we are, what we believe, and what God expects of us. We need to make it absolutely clear, as did Elder Holland, to our families where we stand. If we have any hope in our children holding fast to the truth, it must begin with us and our example.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So True! What a great testimony from Elder Holland. When he spoke, he even got the attention of our kids. They stopped coloring and were glued to the T.V. listening to him speak. If ever anyone had a doubt about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, their doubt should be gone after listening to him speak. What a truly humble man of God!!

Bonnie said...

Great post, Sue. I am so wimpy, but I really need to get over that when it comes to sharing the gospel.

Sarah said...

I agree- I liked Elder Holland's talk!