Thursday, December 9, 2010

#9


Modern medicine. I was thinking the other day a rather morbid thought about how I wouldn't have either of my beautiful boys without modern medicine. When Jimmy was two weeks old he had to be hospitalized due to an unknown virus. I remember being scared to death, but whatever it was the doctor was able to fight off with antibiotics. Then when Jacob was born he was in shock from the fast delivery and not breathing. Once again doctors stepped in and got him breathing. All praise to doctors!

I also can thank modern medicine for things like glasses and contacts, which means I can see! Medication that makes my life livable, fighting against my allergies and depression. Without it I would have constant sinus headaches and live in constant gloom. Thanks to it I know simple things, like washing my hands and food to avoid germs. I don't have to die from an infection due to a simple paper cut. Unlike how people used to think, thanks to modern medicine we know physical ailments are not a sign of personal worth. Bodily mishaps just happen! Praise modern medicine because I have a slew of drugs at my fingertips to help me and my children. I can take a Tylenol when I have a headache. And if something is going wrong with my body, I don't have to be poked, prodded, bled, or cut up. My doctor can do a lab test or scan. Wow! The list could go on and on.

I love modern medicine and all that it has done for my family. I know I take it for granted, but I am truly grateful for all the men and women who have worked so hard to make it as amazing as it is today.

No comments: