Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I love the library!


One of my favorite things to do as a child during summer was our trips to the library. We'd go to the old Upper Moreland library, which resided in the basement of a quaint historic building, every week. I remember walking past the picket fence, opening the well used squeaky door, and gliding down the worn wooden ramp into the library. All at once I was hit with the smell of books and coldness. (I love the smell of books. I love books!) Each visit we'd load up on as many books as possible to feed our minds and imaginations over the next week, even though we usually had them finished that day or the next. There was nothing as exciting as getting new books each week. It was like a buffet for the mind, hundreds of titles and subjects to choose from! I was in heaven.

Some of my favorites were the Bernstein Bears series and Beverly Cleary. I so wanted to be a part of Brother and Sister Bears' lives and live in their amazingly awesome tree house. I would draw pictures of their house and dream. I enjoyed the antics of Ramona. Sometimes I wanted to be as daring as she was, but I was glad I never got in to as much trouble as her. Worlds were opened up to me from that little old library and a love of reading was born. I still love the smell of books and get giddy when I check-out a new read from the library.

I am so glad my children have picked up on that love of reading. Today I had the chance to take the three older kids to our library. (Jacob was with Darci, which was nice as he does not understand library etiquette at all.) I found it highly amusing how the kids all went to their different spots in the library to peruse books. Anna to the fictional chapter books, Rachel off to find Bernstein Bears and Tree House Adventures series, and Jimmy to the non-fiction section on animals, reptiles, and fish. After everyone had made their choices, they curled up in the padded reading cubbies and read away. Even Jimmy, who hasn't mastered reading yet, sat happily contented looking at snakes, fish, and lizards. We had quite the pile of books to check out when it was time to go.

I hope my children continue to enjoy our weekly trips to the library. I am so glad they love to read and have found the magic that comes from feeding their imaginations and creating new worlds all around them. I love reading!

1 comment:

annjeanette said...

My kids are the same way. I can usually find where they are by the type of books. It is pretty awesome.