Tuesday, May 10, 2011

No way am I settling for canned beans!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I always listen to/ read the Priesthood Session talks from General Conference first. Why? Because I am curious what the brethren think are the most important things to teach our priesthood about. What do our men need to work on and how can I help my husband better follow that counsel?

I have almost completed listening to the recent session on my i-pod and was struck by the message of President Ucthdorf. He talked about not living beneath one's priesthood potential and privileges. He began by telling a story about a man who had always dreamed of going on a cruise around the Mediterranean Sea. He worked hard and saved until his dream was finally realized. Not wanting to add to his expenses, he packed powdered lemonade, cans of beans, and crackers to sustain him on his trip. He avoided the entertainment and parties other passengers participated in so as to save his money. He enjoyed the trip, but stayed in his cabin and subsisted on his humble fare for most of it. Only on the last day did the man discover, to his great surprise, that all the food and entertainment was included in the cost of his ticket. He had been living far beneath his privileges and it was too late enjoy them!

President Ucthdorf then discussed how a man can live up to his priesthood potential, namely by 1)knowing his priesthood duties and what God expects of him (read the scriptures), 2) seek out revelation, 3) find joy in priesthood service. As I listened to this wise counsel I thought about what I am doing to make sure my husband is living to the fullest of his priesthood privileges and potential.

One of the reasons why I like to listen to Priesthood Session is to know how I can be a better wife and help meet to my husband. How can we be one as a couple if I don't educate myself on what the Lord expects of BOTH of us? I think every woman should take the time to acquaint herself with these teachings. So many times sisters fail to realize the power and influence they have other their husbands and their spiritual potential. Would I rather have my husband home to help with the kids at night than be gone? Yes. But would I rather have him at home instead of using his priesthood to bless the lives of others, have spiritually sustaining experiences, and ultimately bless our family and myself? I think the answer is obvious. When my husband uses his priesthood, we both are blessed for it.

If we want our husbands to live to the full extent their priesthood potential, we need to help and encourage them. Encourage them to leave the home and go to their meetings, do their home teaching, and fulfill their callings. Ask them to give blessings when needed. If they feel unworthy to do so, help them get to the point where they feel worthy. If that means going to the bishop, then so be it! Encourage them in all they do and praise them for the righteous use of their priesthood power. It may mean more time at home with the kids for the woman, but the blessings far outweigh the sacrifice. I've answered a slew of random phone calls, spent many a lonely night, dealt with last minute emergencies that resulted in hours on my own, watched my tired husband juggle family, work, and church responsibilities (all the while wishing I could do it for him and let him rest), and much much more. Yet, I wouldn't change all the challenges that come with his priesthood responsibilities for the world. And if he tried to skip out on his duties, I would kick his cute little hind end into gear! I'm not about to stand in his way of living up to his potential and I am not about to let him either. Plus I know I need the blessings his service renders to our family.

What a great responsibility and joy it is to help our husbands become and stay righteous priesthood holders living to their fullest potential. When they are being all they can be, we are as well and both are blessed. No way am I settling for canned beans and powdered lemonade when there is a huge buffet waiting at my disposal!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just listened to that same talk last week. Such a great talk that we all can learn from. Last time though, that I prayed to be a more supportive wife to Jon and his priesthood, he was called to be the bishop. :)

Bonnie said...

Great insight, Sue. Thanks for sharing.