Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My endless "truffle"


Have you ever had a Lindor truffle? Talk about death by chocolate. I would gladly accept that chocolaty end. I always like to eat mine the same way every time, putting the whole thing in my mouth and savoring the chocolate coating. Then as the chocolate melts away, my taste buds are rewarded with smooth, creamy, chocolaty heaven. So delicious and divine. Yum!

I was pondering life with Marshall and how it's kind of been like eating one of those beloved truffles. Eleven years ago, on his birthday, he asked me to marry him. Marshall was adorable, charming, talented, fun-loving, spiritual, smart, funny, thoughtful, and sensitive. I was determined to marry someone who was not going to poop out in the Gospel a few years down the road. And I wanted a man who would be a fun, hands on father. I thought I was getting a pretty sweet package.

The Marshall I knew eleven years ago was like the chocolate outside the Lindor truffle. He was amazing already, but I had no idea what I was in store for. Through the years I have been able to "savor" Marshall so much better and am constantly surprised at the "sweet interior" I keep discovering in this man of mine. He is pure gold, through and through. Time has shown me that he is an extremely humble, righteous, and converted follower of the Savior. His life is all about living the Gospel and doing the Lord's will. He treats his covenants with the priority, sacredness, and dedication they deserve. As a father he astounds me. Marshall has no fear about being silly with the kids. He loves to play with them and make them laugh. He changes diapers, will get up in the night with a sick or fussy child, and makes each feel loved and special. His talents have only improved and increased through time. He gets more adorable ever day, even though I don't think it is possible, it is! And as for his love for me, well, I had no idea! He has stood by me through many trials, supported me, cheered me on when I felt like quitting, and encouraged me in all I do. He picks me up when I am down. He helps around the house whenever possible. He hires baby sitters so he can take me out on dates. He makes me feel like a princess living out her "happily ever after" every day.

Marshall is a joy to be married to and be around. His bad days are comparable to my good days, meaning it takes a lot to get this gorgeous fellow down. He is so upbeat and happy. I had no idea of the happiness and pure contentment I would experience when I said "yes" all those years ago. I am so glad I did so I could discover the many amazing layers of Marshall. And with the coming years I know I will only grow to love, admire, respect, and cherish this dear man even more. Happy Birthday, Babe!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Very true. You think you love a guy when you get married, and then it just keeps getting better and better! Happy Birthday, Marshall! Save me a piece of frozen funfetti cake! Yum!