Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Moron Alert

I love people, especially stupid people who shoot off their mouths without having all the facts. In Tuesday's paper there was a wonderful "Letter to the Editor" that echoed this genius at work. The man writing in was condemning the LDS for it's hypocritical actions of fighting against Proposition 8 in California, but then ignoring the obvious problems in the "Mormon community" in regards to the polygamists. The following is an except of this so well thought out argument:

"I realize that the LDS church is probably the most powerful, wealthy and influential single entity in the state of Utah. But to use the guise of their "moral convictions" to determine any citizen's right to marry is outrageous. I have yet to see or hear of any campaign from the LDS church to apply their moral righteousness to the blatant illegal and immoral activity within the Mormon community itself. The LDS church obviously has no problem with the common FLDS practice of middle-aged men sexually abusing children; taking several underage girls as their "spiritual" wives and condemning them to life-long servitude. Instead, it chooses to impose it's "moral standard" to deny marriage rights to adults of the same sex. What hypocrisy."

Hello, moron, try checking your facts first. The LDS church has no association with the FLDS church, therefore, why is it the LDS church's sole responsibility to oust the FLDS from practice? I admit I am not an expert on the history of what has been done to stop the polygamists. I know about government raids in the past, etc. But to put the whole blame on the LDS church for the existence of the FLDS church seems asinine. If this gentleman had tried to learn a little bit about the LDS doctrine, he would see that such behavior by the FLDS is in strong contradiction to our LDS beliefs. Don't tell me that my church has no problem with the practice that goes on in the FLDS church. I didn't know polygamy existed until I moved to southern Utah. I was horrified to find out that people still practice it and think it is a heavenly mandate. The first time I saw a polygamist, I was taken aback. I grew up around Amish and Mennonite people and they were always so kind and friendly towards us "English". They are a happy loving people. But these oddly dressed folks in southern Utah who separated themselves from the rest did not seem at all friendly or happy. It was baffling to me. I am still trying to bend my mind around the whole concept. And every LDS person I have talked to about it has felt the same as me towards this horrible practice. So you're wrong Mister in thinking we have "no problem" with this issue. The LDS church makes all the effort it can to disassociate itself from these people.

As for condoning child and spousal abuse, I don't think so. My husband is a bishop and as such people come to see him to repent of various sins. These are things he keeps confidential between himself and the said person. However, in the case of abuse, he has to inform the proper authorities. There is no tolerance for such things in the LDS church. Get your facts straight, buddy.

"No, I am not Mormon and not gay. I am a 63-year-old Vietnam veteran and was raised in a loving Christian home. I was taught to respect the personal religious beliefs of any individual and that I had no right to impose my beliefs on anyone."

Good for you for not being Mormon or gay. As for being a Vietnam vet, what is the point of mentioning that? You know, you fought in a war that created a lot of controversy. By going and fighting you were taking a stand for something you believed in.

I too respect the personal religious beliefs of others. And the last time I checked there wasn't any requirement to go to the temple that included verbally or physically attacking any who believed different than me. What happened in California concerning the church was our ability to exercise our rights to practice free speech and stand up for what we believe in. We did not use violent means. And the majority of the voters who did vote for Proposition 8 were not LDS. So please, check your facts.

I know I shouldn't get so worked up over someone so stupid, but sometimes I can't help it. I don't like it when people tell me what I believe or that I should be ashamed because I allow something like polygamy to go on. Not true. Plus my writing material would be far less if there weren't idiots in the world like this guy. I know, not everyone has the blessing of a functioning brain, but still I think it wise to have some facts before shooting off one's mouth.

No comments: